Menaces globales et criminalité organiséeSecteurs d'activité
Court termeDurée de la mission
Expertise sur nos projetsType d'expertise
28/02/2019Date limite de candidature
Description du projet
Organised Crime: West African Response to Money Laundering and the Financing of Terrorism (OCWAR-M)
The Organised Crime: West African Response to Money laundering and the financing of terrorism (OCWAR-M) project, financed under the 11th European Development Fund, will aim to the reduction of money laundering and the financing of terrorism in the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
Its specific objective is the Inter-Governmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa (GIABA) and ECOWAS member states to adopt and effectively implement international standards against money laundering and terrorist financing in order to improve the regional operational capacity.
Thus, this project is meant to strengthen the capacity of GIABA and its member states in the coordination of actions against money laundering and terrorist financing through:
- the provision of technical assistance for the conduct of national assessments of risks of money laundering and terrorist financing;
- mutual evaluations of member States to ascertain their technical compliance with international standards and the effectiveness of their AML/CFT systems; and
- the strengthening of cooperation, coordination and capacity building of national stakeholders involved in the fight against money laundering and terrorist financing.
Activities will be declined under 4 components/key results to be achieved :
- Result 1. ML/TF risks well understood by MS and actions better coordinated domestically to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and proliferation
- Result 2: ECOWAS MS are able to achieve high level of compliance and are implementing effective and robust AML/CFT regimes in line with international standards
- Result 3: Domestic and international cooperation facilitating information sharing and the delivery of quality financial intelligence are improved as well as the capacity of competent authorities that pursue actions against criminals and their assets
- Result 4: GIABA's own operational capacity is better understood and managed by its officers and accepted by ECOWAS Member States.
Short-term experts will contribute to the project on a punctual basis, depending on needs expressed by the project partners and activities to be implemented.
The indicative implementation period is 48 months. It will start with a 6-month inception phase, followed by a 42-month implementation phase.
The first six months of inception will be dedicated to an in-depth situation analysis through a series of fact-finding missions in each of the target countries to develop a project strategy tailored to the beneficiaries needs and complementary to existing initiatives.
ToRS will be revised on the basis of the strategy developed during the inception phase.
Description de la mission
- General objective
Under the supervision and guidance of Expertise France and the Project Manager, the Law Enforcement expert will be responsible for the identification of needs, opportunities and risks at both local law enforcement institutions and GIABA/ regional level in his specific field of expertise.
- Description of the task to be assigned
- Conduct fact-finding missions
- Contribute to the drafting of the inception report, incl. a strategy and a working plan specifically in the field of law enforcement
- Network with relevant stakeholders in partner countries and establish a working relationship with local administrations, and relevant regional and international organisations related to law enforcement subjects
- Contribute to the presentation of the project’s launching ceremony.
- Contribute to the strategy report of implementation project activities related to Law enforcement
- Ensure regular high-quality reporting on project activities to project management
- Draft in collaboration with other experts mission reports, progress reports and the final report
- Any other task requested by the project manager and Expertise France for the OCWAR-M project
- Expected results
- Achieve the results outlined in the project proposal in his area of expertise
- Timely and successful completion of deliverables
- Mission methodology
The mission will be launched by a briefing with the project designated representatives on mission objectives, expected methodology and results.
- Country mission reports (state of play and comprehensive analysis of situations and risks)
- Mapping of existing initiatives and stakeholders/needs assessment/gap analysis in the field of law enforcement
- Workplan, which includes a prioritization in the implementation of the project and a list of activities to be implemented, in the field of law enforcement
- Contributions to the Project inception report and implementation project strategy
- Any additional deliverables (missions’ reports, monthly reports etc.) determined during the inception phase and requested by EF in relation to the OCWAR-M Project.
Qualifications et compétences
- University degree (BA or MA or equivalent), or equivalent, in international law, Rule of Law, public policy, political science or any other relevant discipline
- Excellent understanding of the penal chain in the field of CFT/AML
- Excellent understanding of financial intelligence, terrorism, the financing of terrorism and/or money-laundering
- Excellent understanding of global standards and framework on Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT)
- Capacity to develop long term strategic objectives and distinct steps to meet those objectives
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills
- Fluency in English and French; knowledge of Portuguese would be an asset
- A minimum of 6 years of experience working in law enforcement cooperation and/or national and international organizations working on the penal chain
- Background in specialized financial investigations including regional and national expertise/experience working on legal issues on the prosecution of CFT/AML offences
- Experience working in an international environment would be highly desirable, either from employment in an international organization or from participating in international working groups, joint international projects, etc.
- Experience in advising or supporting administrations and providing technical assistance
- Experience in training, facilitating best practices sharing, establishing cross-sectoral institutional and private stakeholders’ networks (e.g. through workshops, study visits etc.)
- Proven experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- A minimum of 1 year of professional experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- Duration: 6 months
- Posting based in Dakar, Senegal with multiple field trips in ECOWAS countries + Mauritania
Documents à fournir
- CV ;
- Cover letter
Together with CV, candidates have to give full coordinates of the company which is to be contracted by Expertise France.
Contacts : Emilie ONG - firstname.lastname@example.org